We care about your privacy.
We believe in fully disclosing the methods to which we collect, use and allow you to take control of your personal information.
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?This is information you may have given us about specifically who you are, such as:
- name, mailing address, email address, user name, password
- demographic information (such as age and education)
- your interests and preferences
- transactional information (such as the history of your purchases or the fact that your name and address was obtained by us on a contest entry)
USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your Personal Information may be used by us for the following purposes:
- If you are a customer or member of one of our publications or web sites we need your personal information to provide you with the CCMC Services and information you have requested from us. We may from time to time use your Personal Information to contact you about changes, enhancements or similar notices related to the CCMC Services;
- CCMC websites will not sell, rent or lease its customer/member lists to third party but we may contact you by email on behalf of external business partners with offers that may be of interest to you, carefully screened to ensure the company is reputable and their materials appropriate and not misleading. All our email communications of this manner will identify us as the sender and include an "unsubscribe" option from receiving these types of offers;
- From time-to-time our magazines may make their list of customers available to other carefully screened organizations that want to let you know about a product or service that might interest you. The material to be sent to you, is reviewed by us before the names and addresses are released to ensure the company is reputable and their materials are appropriate and not misleading;
- If you enter a contest or other promotion offered on a CCMC Site, we may, under the rules of the promotion, use your name and certain other information to administer the promotion, such as contacting, announcing and promoting the winners of the promotion;
- Your credit card number, debit card number, or banking information for pre-authorized payments is used only for processing payments and for presenting you with payment options - not for marketing purposes.
- CCMC may also use Personal Information if it has reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law or in order to protect or defend a legal interest.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONWe will only disclose your Personal Information to third parties:
- Where you have specifically given us your consent to disclose your Personal Information for a designated purpose;
- From time-to-time our magazines may make their list of customers available to other carefully screened organizations that want to let you know about a product or service that might interest you. The material to be sent to you, is reviewed by us before the names and addresses are released to ensure the company is reputable and their materials are appropriate and not misleading. If you would prefer for us NOT to share your information, simply inform us by using the contact information stated at the top of this policy.
- Our websites may provide your name and email address to carefully screened partners for the sole purpose of providing an extended service or premium news content that we believe will be of high value to our customers or members. These types of partnerships DO NOT include the right to send direct promotional or product offers to you.
- Who are acting on our behalf as our agents, suppliers or service providers, solely to enable us to more efficiently provide you with the CCMC Services. Such entities act under strict contractual controls, requiring them to maintain the confidentiality of all such Personal Information and to use such information solely for purposes related to the provision of the CCMC Services;
- As required by law, including by an order of any court, institution or body with jurisdiction or authority to compel the production of information, or in order to protect or defend a legal interest; or
STORAGE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
CCMC only stores personal information for a period that is reasonably necessary to meet the purposes for which it was collected. Then, we erase or make anonymous any personal information that is no longer required for a specific purpose.
CONTROL OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Access and Accuracy of Your Information
CCMC offers its customers and members choices for the collection, use and sharing of personal information.
If you are a subscriber of a CCMC publication, please contact us by phone, email, or write us at the address given above and indicate your preferences in terms of the use of your personal information or if you would like to confirm we have your correct information.
You may also stop the delivery of future promotional e-mail from CCMC by following the specific instructions in the e-mail you receive. Email communications will always include an identification of the sender and an "unsubscribe" option.
For those customers or members who are not a CCMC Internet Registered User, upon request, CCMC will provide you with access insofar as possible to any personal information you have given us. This information may only be referred to by the user related to a specific profile.
Also, upon request, CCMC will (a) destroy or make anonymous personal information about you that it keeps in its databanks; (b) correct any personal information that you state is erroneous; and (c) allow you to withdraw from mailing lists of future emails (except for notices of major changes in the service) while allowing you to continue to access its Internet sites. To request a change or a correction, refer to your profile and reach us through the contact information given above.
If you receive a mailing from any of the CCMC consumer magazines and you wish to know the source of your name (i.e. what list it came from), we will make every reasonable effort to determine the source and provide you with the information. For this request, or to confirm that any personal information we may have is correct, please contact us in writing.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We make every reasonable effort to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. Our security policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary.
Only authorized individuals and suppliers have access to customer information. Where information is sent to a third party for processing, we make sure, through our contracts with them, that all customer information is kept secure. We keep your information for the time we are providing you with a product or service, and for a reasonable time thereafter in the event that you wish to resume service.
We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Credit card information is processed using industry-standard encryption and security. We do not collect personal information from bulletin boards or forums. However, we cannot guarantee that personal information voluntarily disclosed on message boards and discussion groups will not be collected and used by others, which may result in unsolicited messages to you from other parties.
CHILDREN AND PERSONAL INFORMATION
We believe that none of CCMC Services appeal directly to children 13 years old or less. Children may visit these CCMC Services and provide personal information, which will be collected, used and disclosed as described in this policy. We encourage you to talk with your children about communicating with strangers, disclosing personal information online and using Internet services safely.
CCMC USE OF NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION
Non-Personal Information is collected or derived by us in the course of operating the CCMC Services. For example, our Web servers may automatically collect Non-Personal Information which is provided through your browser or stored on a Cookie or through a Web Beacon when you choose to visit a CCMC Service.
In addition to CCMC's practices related to IP Addresses, Cookies or Web Beacons, Non-Personal Information is used generally by CCMC to monitor and improve the operation of the CCMC Services, to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behaviour of our users, to measure user demographics and interests regarding specific CCMC Services, to describe our services to third parties such as prospective business partners and advertisers and to analyze how and where best to use our resources. No Personal Information will be disclosed during these activities.
CCMC may also use Non-Personal Information to inform our sponsors and advertisers as to the performance of a particular sponsorship (such as a contest) or advertisement. In such case we may disclose to those third-party sponsors and advertisers the overall aggregate demographics available regarding, for example who participated in a contest or who saw and "clicked" on an advertisement. No Personal Information will be disclosed to these sponsors and advertisers as part of this process; only information in an anonymous, aggregate form will be disclosed.
An IP Address is the unique number which is assigned to every direct Internet access point. Many IP Addresses can generally be associated with certain Internet service providers or large organizations. IP Addresses do not contain any Personal Information. When you, through your browser, request a web page or similar Internet information from another computer on the Internet, your browser automatically provides that computer with an IP address to which it will send the requested information.
CCMC and IP Addresses:
- Whenever you request a CCMC Service web page or certain other similar CCMC content, your browser automatically provides our computers with your IP Address, to which our computers will send the requested information. Each such request is logged by our computers with information including the IP Address of the computer that requested the page and is stored by our computers as needed for the purposes described in this policy;
- CCMC may use your IP Address to display more appropriate and relevant content and advertising, such as content and advertising based on your geographic area. Aggregate information derived from IP Addresses may be reported by CCMC to its advertisers and partners. For example, CCMC may report to its advertisers the estimated total number of users accessing a particular CCMC Site from a specific province;
- CCMC may use your IP Address to facilitate the diagnoses and remedy of a technical problem reported by you or our technical team.
Cookies and Web Beacons
CCMC uses "cookies" to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a Web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs, deliver viruses to your computer, search your computer for other information or transmit any information to anyone. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. The cookie identifies your browser and will NOT let a web site know any personal information about you, such as your name and address.
- Monitor website usage and improve the operation and performance of the CCMC Services and to make our CCMC Services easier and more convenient to use. For example, cookies help us remember who you are through your browser settings so that we can offer and provide more personalized services (e.g. language preference). Cookies also allow us to save passwords and preferences for you so that you will not have to re-enter them the next time you visit a CCMC Service;
- Measure aggregate user traffic and demographic statistics related to the CCMC Services and advertisements (e.g. number of users, average time spent, average age and similar statistics). This information helps us to better understand when to update, change or offer new services and provides us with details as to the performance of third party advertisements and content. This information may be reported, in aggregate form only, to our current and prospective sponsors, advertisers and business partners. No Personal Information will be disclosed in such reports;
CCMC's sites contain hyperlinks to Internet sites managed by third parties. These links are only suggested for your convenience. Activating these links may cause you to leave CCMC's sites. Please note that CCMC does not have any control over third party Internet sites and the fact that such sites have links to CCMC's sites does not incur CCMC's liability in any way whatsoever. Consequently, any personal information you provide on third party sites will necessarily be subject to these other sites' policies and procedures. CCMC cannot be held liable at any time for any abuses, which may result. We recommend that you read carefully the policies and procedures related to personal information on these other sites.
LIMITATION OF THE COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
CCMC only collects personal information required to meet the objective for which said personal information is collected.
CHANGES IN POLICY