My name is Cathy Williamson, and I am very excited about the opportunity to share nutrition tips with you on the Links for Women website. As a Sports Nutritionist, I work with athletes of all levels to ensure that they are obtaining sufficient calories, nutrients, and energy requirements to fuel their athletic performance.
In my work with Clublink and the Canadian Junior Golf Association, I discovered that there is a lack of clear, concise nutritional information available to golfers. My new book 'Top Ten Nutrition Tips for Golfers - Nutrition Strategies to Lower Your Handicap', provides golfers of any handicap a practical, common sense approach to nutrition and hydration which will not only aid in lowering your score, but improve your overall health as well.
Many of us can't wait to get out on the golf course - in fact, some of us may have been lucky enough to squeeze in a couple rounds already on the warm spring days we've had. For those of us with busy schedules, it can be hard to find the time to play golf, but I encourage you to get out there as soon as you can and fit in as many rounds as you can. Why? Because getting out on the range has numerous health benefits. I sat down the other day and came up with at least 18 health benefits of golf and I'm sure there are probably more!
1. Generally feel better – improves quality of life
2. Improves sleep
3. Promotes better body image
4. Improves self esteem
5. Boosts the immune system
6. Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease
7. Lowers cholesterol levels
8. Increases metabolism
9. Improves concentration, memory and alertness
10. Reduces stress levels
11. Strengthens lungs and respiratory system
12. Promotes a slower resting heart rate
13. Reduces risk of bone loss
14. Requires the use of numerous muscle groups
15. Provides greater vitality and increased energy
16. Great way to enjoy the outdoors and get some fresh air
17. Presents a wonderful way to socialize with friends
18. It's fun!!
What a great list! Next time you are out on the course, remember all of the great things golf is doing for your overall health and vitality. I'm sure it will make the game that much more enjoyable!